Bruxism Treatment in Granada Hills
In some instances, teeth grinding may occur, and no treatment is required. If you find that you grind your teeth on a more regular basis, you may have to visit your dentist for bruxism treatment. Bruxism often leads to a damaged tooth, disordered jaw, and also results in headaches and other problems. You may be experiencing bruxism in your subconscious and you might not be aware of it. There are a couple of symptoms you should be mindful of. They include: Ear ache, Head ache, and Facial pain. Severe pain and stiffness can occur in the jaw joint (temporomandibular joint) and surrounding muscles, which can cause temporomandibular disorder (TMD). Lastly, worn teeth which might expose inner layers of your teeth and lead to a high sensitivity and tooth loss may also happen.
Teeth Grinding: Why is it Harmful?
Causes of Bruxism
Doctors can’t categorically explain the main causes of teeth grinding, but examinations have revealed that it may be due to a combination of physical, psychological and genetic factors like:
- Stress, and increased anxiety.
- Age: bruxism is more prevalent among young children but even adults are not immune to it.
- Personality: bruxism is also associated with aggressive and hyperactive people.
- Bruxism could be hereditary especially the subconscious bruxism.
- Bruxism could also be a side effect of some psychiatric medications like antidepressants.
The major types of bruxism include: The Conscious bruxism
This usually occurs because of emotions such as anxiety, stress, anger, frustration or tension.
The Subconscious bruxism:
This type is usually sleep-related. Grinding activity could be loud enough for a partner to hear.
Bruxism Treatment in Granada Hills: What can be done?
As soon as you become symptomatic, you are advised to visit your doctor for the necessary bruxism treatment. There are a number of ways to treat bruxism; The use of a mouth guard or mouth sprint reduces the sensation of clenching and gnashing your teeth. Mouth guards also protect against further tooth damage. Muscle relaxation exercises and hygiene can also be used for treatment. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) can also be recommended for patients with stress and anxiety. Other useful tips include: Reduction in the consumption of foods with caffeine like chocolate, colas and coffee. Clenching intensifies after alcohol consumption. You should avoid alcohol. Avoid chewing objects that are not food like key holders, pencils, pen caps etc.
- A dentist Granada Hills is focused on making sure that everyone has the best smile possible. However, a healthy mouth is one of the keys to a beautiful smile. There are a variety of services that can be used to improve your smile including full mouth rehabilitation in Granada Hills. It is also known as … Continue reading "How To Know If You’re A Good Candidate For A Full Mouth Rehabilitation"Read More »
- If you have ever considered getting composite fillings in Granada Hills, then there are a couple things you must know. Cavities are never fun, but with the help of a credible dentist skilled in composite fillers, you’ll be able to overcome the pain with no problem. How this treatment works is simple; the destroyed parts … Continue reading "How Long Do Composite Fillings Last?"Read More »
- Oral cancer is another type of cancer that is gaining in cases. Just as you would take proper preparation to protect against prostate cancer or breast cancer, you should do so with oral cancer screenings. If you’re not familiar with what these are, we’re going to go into some detail about the process so you … Continue reading "Why You Should Get an Oral Cancer Screening"Read More »
- Deciding Your Reason for Considering Veneers There are many reasons someone may opt to get porcelain veneers. Mostly, a person will want to brighten their smile. This could be because, over time, enamel on teeth may be worn to the point of a see-through appearance at the bottom cusps. Therefore, they are looking for a … Continue reading "Will Veneers Ruin My Natural Teeth?"Read More »
- A dentist Granada Hills may recommend scaling in order to prevent the gums and teeth from developing complications. It is often referred to as root planing. It involves removing plaque that is around the gum pockets. It also removes tartar from the gum line. What Complications Can Result From Scaling? Scaling has more risks than … Continue reading "Side Effects Of Teeth Scaling"Read More »