Oral Cancer Screening in Granada Hills
Our oral cancer screening in Granada Hills is an examination that one of our dentists carries out in search of signs for precancerous conditions or cancer in your mouth. The term ‘screening’ has to do with the search for cancer even before the patient begins to show any symptoms. When this exercise is carried out on time, it could lead to the discovery of cancer at a very early stage. When cancer or any form of abnormal tissue is found early, the chances of treating the ailment successfully increases. This is the primary goal of oral cancer screening. But if signs of cancer remain undiscovered and the symptoms begin to show, it may have metastasized to other parts of the body.
When you visit your local dentist, the practitioner may examine your mouth when screening for oral cancer. Don’t be surprised if additional tests are carried out by the dentist in order to identify areas with abnormal cell growth in your mouth.
The United States of America alone, accounts for more than 48,000 cases of squamous cell carcinoma of the pharynx and oral cavity, with over 9,000 deaths recorded every year. It is unfortunate that the diagnosis for this oral cancer relies solely on the patient’s willingness to present himself/herself for physical examination or oral cancer screening. This could be accompanied by biopsy confirmation which, in turn, could lead to delay in diagnosing the ailment.
This has led to intense research by scientists to find out who tends to get oral cancer as well as the things we eat or do which may bring about the dreaded disease. When this information is submitted to medical practitioners, they are in the best position to analyze the information and recommend the patient to undergo oral cancer screening. The data will also help them determine which screening tests the patient should undergo as well as how regularly these tests should be performed.
Up until this moment, no single oral test is powerful enough to minimize the risk of dying of cancer of the oral cavity. This means that it is left to you and your dentist to decide whether or not, you should undergo a special test or oral cancer screening based on your genetic makeup or personal history.
Preventing oral cancer is possible if you are well-informed about your risk factors. Individuals that smoke, drink alcoholic beverages excessively and have a poor diet are more likely to develop oral cancer.
If you have also had oral cancer before, the chances of a recurrence are very high. Therefore, you need to continuously visit your local dentist and perform oral cancer screening from time to time in order to prevent a relapse.
- A dentist Granada Hills is focused on making sure that everyone has the best smile possible. However, a healthy mouth is one of the keys to a beautiful smile. There are a variety of services that can be used to improve your smile including full mouth rehabilitation in Granada Hills. It is also known as … Continue reading "How To Know If You’re A Good Candidate For A Full Mouth Rehabilitation"Read More »
- If you have ever considered getting composite fillings in Granada Hills, then there are a couple things you must know. Cavities are never fun, but with the help of a credible dentist skilled in composite fillers, you’ll be able to overcome the pain with no problem. How this treatment works is simple; the destroyed parts … Continue reading "How Long Do Composite Fillings Last?"Read More »
- Oral cancer is another type of cancer that is gaining in cases. Just as you would take proper preparation to protect against prostate cancer or breast cancer, you should do so with oral cancer screenings. If you’re not familiar with what these are, we’re going to go into some detail about the process so you … Continue reading "Why You Should Get an Oral Cancer Screening"Read More »
- Deciding Your Reason for Considering Veneers There are many reasons someone may opt to get porcelain veneers. Mostly, a person will want to brighten their smile. This could be because, over time, enamel on teeth may be worn to the point of a see-through appearance at the bottom cusps. Therefore, they are looking for a … Continue reading "Will Veneers Ruin My Natural Teeth?"Read More »
- A dentist Granada Hills may recommend scaling in order to prevent the gums and teeth from developing complications. It is often referred to as root planing. It involves removing plaque that is around the gum pockets. It also removes tartar from the gum line. What Complications Can Result From Scaling? Scaling has more risks than … Continue reading "Side Effects Of Teeth Scaling"Read More »